In a world where there are a myriad of ways to support your nervous system, how do you know which one is the best option? How do you know who you can trust? In this blog, I want to talk about a handful of ways you can support your nervous system to heal and how to listen to your body.
Healing Your Nervous System
Your nervous system is a complex bodily system that requires constant attention and support. If you are finding yourself struggling with stress, fatigue, illness, anxiety, or burnout, it is extremely likely that your nervous system is out of alignment. We must support our nervous system to get back into a state of balance and rest so we can function at optimal levels.
HAVE YOU TRIED THE FOLLOWING?
- Journal and meditating
- Think positive
- Eating healthy foods
- Read all of the self help books
Yet you still feel out of balance and struggling to make ends meet? This is a sign that you need to take your self care a step further in order to better support yourself and your nervous system.
Although eating right, thinking positive, and trying to meditate and journal are helpful tools, our nervous systems often need more support than that to make a difference in feeling balanced.
Some of my favorite self care tips for emotional regulation
- Using essential oils- Find essential oils that work for you that promote a calm environment and help the body get into a rest and digest state. Some of my favorite oils include Lavender, lemon, chamomile, sage, and bergamot.
- Weighted blanket and low light- In the evenings, using a weighted blanket and dim lighting helps your body switch into rest and digest state and calms your emotional regulation. Candle light, salt lamps, no blue light from electronics, black out curtains, and dimmer bulbs help me get into a restful state.
- Supplements and mineral and nutrient dense foods- When we choose to take supplements and eat nutrient dense foods, we give our bodies the opportunity to have energy from within and fuel us for the day. These things promote good gut health, brain fuel, and clear skin, amongst other things.
Things I keep in my home to support my nervous system
- essential oils
- Journals and crafts
- Candles and salt lamps
- Yoga mat and meditation pillow
- Supplements and nutrient dense foods
- White noise maker
All three of these tangible ways to take your self care further in order to support your nervous system will pay dividends in the long run. You have to make the conscious choice to put yourself and your needs first. These aids will also help you regulate your sleep and anxiety level. Self care shows up in every aspect of our life and goes a long way when you make room for it.
Not only do you need self care tools at home, but you also need a community of support to hold you accountable and spot your areas of growth when you are feeling isolated. Join my Mindbody Reset group to find a community in alignment with your goals.
As always, thank you for saving room for me in your inbox and I look forward to connecting with you further. If you don’t already, follow me on Instagram where I share posts about all things psychology, self-care, and neuroscience.